Tuesday, July 22, 2008

95 - Life is so short (and so are you).


Dear David,

There's an expression people use when they want to tell other people that they know enough to not be easily fooled. It is this:

"I wasn't born yesterday, you know."

But the fact is, I was born yesterday. I was born yesterday at 7:12 am. By nine o'clock, I was playing with my trucks on the nap of the green carpet in Grandma and Grandpa's living room. By five o'clock in the afternoon -- that very same day -- I was off to college. I remember Grandma and Grandpa's long faces looking at me through the car windows as they drove off, leaving me in front of my dormitory.

They were sad to have had such a short time with me. They were worried what might become of me.

Fortunately, I graduated from college at 6:32 PM and found a job within minutes! I worked hard. I went to sleep, and waited for something to happen that would make me happy.

I woke up this morning to find out I was now 44 years old, in a house, with two small children, and a woman who claims to be my wife. The yard of the house needs constant tending, or else it becomes horribly overgrown within minutes.

Feeding you two boys and changing diapers is a continual process. Food flies into the house in big brown bags. Garbage flies out in big white bags. But I see it as a good investment. Since, by dinner time, the two of you will be feeding me and changing my diapers. So there you go.

Life is so short, and so are you! But, in no time at all, you will be big. By noon today, it will be me with my sad face in the car window saying goodbye, wondering where it all went.

I am so lucky that I get to spend so many of these seconds with you and doing things I love with you.

When you are big, I hope you spend as much time as you can doing the things you love that make you happy. I hope you spend all your days awake.

Love,

Daddy

No comments: